Individuals afflicted with hypothyroidism should follow the series of the upcoming blogs to bring this condition under control.
In the year 2002, a swollen neck region was the first indication that Priya Gupta needed some conclusive test to diagnose the origin. Hypothyroidism was the definite conclusion. She was put on medication and it was declared that:
- It was a permanent lifelong fixture
- It will infringe on her right to donate blood
Further issues like weight gain, constipation, acidity and hair fall took a toll on her physically as well as psychologically.
Other symptoms of Hypothyroidism are
- Dry hair
- Rough Skin
- Memory Loss
- Decreased libido
- Abnormal periods
Facts about Thyroid
- Typically,women are more prone to thyroidism than men
- Hypo/Hyper Thyroid becomes more common as we age. Women over 50 are particularly susceptible to developing hypothyroidism
- According to a projection from various studies on thyroid, it has been estimated that about 42 million people in India suffer from thyroid diseases. Most of them do not even have an idea that they suffer fromm this condition
- People with hypothyroidism may have a higher risk of heart disease because they often have, high levels of LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood
- They are also more likely to have high blood pressure, stiffness of the blood vessels, and dysfunction of the inner lining of blood vessels
- Thyroid also plays a role in blood sugar control and diabetes. A 2015 study found that the risk of developing diabetes is significantly higher with poor thyroid function. People with the lowest level of thyroid function were 1.4 times more likely to progress from prediabetes to diabetes compared to those with better thyroid function.
Priya is off Hypothyroid Medication
Priya commenced her yogic journey two years back with the sole intention of bringing a wholesome well-being to her life. One of the byproducts of this journey was, the segregation of her lifestyle first to bring it in into an organized integration with focused unification of healthier lifestyle habits. Her Dincharya (daily regime) was fixed as per the natural rhythm of the universe. She did so by:
- Ahar (Nutritional Intake)
Her earlier food habits involved to excite the taste bud, and then, to finish the leftover irrespective of whether she was hungry or not. The nutritional value of food was not even a benchmark.
New food habits were established around the ‘Circadian Rhythm’ – Eating right food at the right time, as per the season and requirement of the body. The genesis of this design was naturopathy and sattvic ahar. Though there were not much hard and fast rules but certain habitual patterns, in terms of eating, were fixed consciously.
- Vihar (Activity)
She considered herself as being physically active as she used to do all the daily chores at home. But the body had adapted to this routine and awareness towards physical well being was missing. As a result, it did not contribute towards her physical fitness levels at all.
New manual engagement with Yogic kriyas, asanas and breathing were included in her daily regime. A time well invested, helped her get rid of the problem that were activated due to a misjudged ‘illusionary active lifestyle.’
Sleep became an important independent factor in itself. She had a fixed time of sleeping and waking up, of course, with a few exceptions. Also, efforts were made to deepen the quality of the sleep.
- Giving LIFE a Purpose
In the last few decades, she had lost touch with her inner-self completely. Her creativity was buried deep and forgotten. It is important, first, ‘to Live for Yourself than others’. She brought back her childhood hobbies to life, something which she had disconnected with years back.
Executing the above gradually, with full submission and awareness, started with the establishment of ‘The connection with herself’. She started integrating scattered pieces of herself into one which made her a strong, healthy, happy and hearty woman. Life became meaningful, face became beautiful and health became colourful. Weaknesses vanished and inferiority complexes became groundless.
Priya is NOW a transformed soul with basic lifestyle changes. You too can have a fulfilling life with ‘Right Living’.
Disclaimer: Priya does medical test every three months to check the thyroid status as well as works in consultation with her doctor. Please consult with your doctor before getting off medication.
Discover Yoga Discover Yourself
Shammi Gupta, founder of Shammi’s Yogalaya holds an MA in Yoga Shastra, is a certified Yogic Therapist and Naturopath, has completed an Advanced Yoga Course and holds a Diploma in Yoga Education from Mumbai University. She is a certified trainer from American College of Sports Medicine and holds an MBA in HR & MBA in Finance from The University of Akron, Ohio, USA. She conducts Health Awareness Workshops for Corporate, Yogasana Workshops for Athletes and Yoga Therapy Workshops on different medical issues for patients. Among the celebrities Shammi trains are eminent personalities from the film and television industry and corporate world.