I am sure the ‘insert’ in the last video would have helped you understand the specific engagement of scapula during the stretches. In fact, that’s the key to performing all the stretches successfully, failing which, the stretches will become an act of mechanical movement without any gain. This video blog also has an insert along with it. Do take a closer look for optimal benefit.
Elbows pointed up & down with fingers hooked in
- Sit or stand with your spine in a neutral position
- Stretch your arms out, fold your elbows and hook your right-hand fingers with your left-hand fingers by clasping the four fingers of right hand with the four fingers of left hand (thumbs are free and pointed out); you have basically assumed Ganesh Mudra
- Inhale and raise your hooked fingers towards the ceiling; exhale and bring your right elbow down towards the floor and the left elbow should be pointing towards the ceiling
- The left side of the head would be most probably touching the left-hand biceps
- Stretch the elbows apart and away from each other as much as possible
- Push your head slightly against the left arm or the head will protrude forward and this might cause neck pain
- Hold the position for 5 counts with normal breathing
- Inhale, raise your hooked fingers back towards the ceiling and bring the left elbow towards the floor and the right elbow towards the ceiling while resting / softly pushing your head against the right arm. Repeat the whole process with this side as well.
- Hold for 10 seconds with normal breathing. Repeat 5 times
- Increase the duration of the stretch gradually to 20-30 seconds each time round
- Not holding your breath
- And not straining your neck by pushing your head forward
With this stretch as well as previous three stretches, we tried to expand the range of motion and the coverage of the scapula while still focusing on a particular part of that area. Our fifth stretch will have a combination of many such movements to make it complete in itself. So, wait and watch for this space for Stretch#5. You can combine this along with the above for a faster result.
You can also add in your practice:
- Stretch#1 Elbows pulled apart
- Stretch#2 Elbows side to side with fingers hooked in
- Stretch#3 Front and back with fingers hooked in
- Hands in and hands out
- Arms up and arms down
- Easing Cervical Spondylosis on the go
- How to perform cat & cow pose
Checkout my Yoga Videos on YouTube (Shammi’s Yogalaya)
Discover Yoga Discover Yourself
Shammi Gupta, founder of Shammi’s Yogalaya holds an MA in Yoga Shastra, is a certified Yogic Therapist and Naturopath, has completed an Advanced Yoga Course and holds a Diploma in Yoga Education from Mumbai University. She is a certified trainer from American College of Sports Medicine and holds an MBA in HR & MBA in Finance from The University of Akron, Ohio, USA. She conducts Health Awareness Workshops for Corporate, Yogasana Workshops for Athletes and Yoga Therapy Workshops on different medical issues for patients. Among the celebrities Shammi trains are eminent personalities from the film and television industry and corporate world.