Our fifth and final stretch in the series to target the issue of Cervical Spondylosis is a combination of all the first four stretches in one movement. While performing this vyayam, you will realize that along with your arms, armpits, biceps, triceps and different movements of scapula i.e. retraction, protraction, elevation, depression, upward rotation, you also cover a major part of your Latissimus Dorsi. Ensure involvement of scapula during your performance.
Circular Arm Rotation
- Sit or stand with your spine in a neutral position
- Stretch your arms out, fold your elbows and hook your right-hand fingers with your left-hand fingers by clasping the four fingers of right hand with the four fingers of left hand (thumbs are free and pointed out); you have basically assumed Ganesh Mudra
- With a rhythmic beat to your inhalation and exhalation, start rolling your inter hooked hands around your head first anti-clock wise for few round, change the hooking position of the hands and then repeat in the clock wise direction with the equal number of rotation. The arms and the elbows remain stretched and firm throughout this pulsing movement. This rotation is amalgamation of the first four stretches / movements that I have already posted and is combined in one movement. Please ensure that your neck is not under any strain and is aligned to your spine.
- Perform very slow, initially, to understand the change in the breathing pattern as well as the engagement in different parts of the body. Once you attain the correct rhythm with the right involvement of the muscle group, speed up the practice. However, make sure to align your movements with rhythmic breathing.
- Repeat 5 times
- Increase the number gradually to 8-10 rounds
- Not holding your breath
- And not straining your neck by pushing your head forward
Do check out my finale video of the series (to be released next). Do not miss it if you really want to get rid of your cervical spondylosis, neck pain, frozen shoulder, stiff shoulders, osteoarthritis etc.
You can also add in your practice:
- Stretch #1 Elbows pulled apart
- Stretch #2 Elbows side to side with fingers hooked in
- Stretch #3 Front and back with fingers hooked in
- Stretch #4 Elbows pointed up & down
- Hands in and hands out
- Arms up and arms down
- Easing Cervical Spondylosis on the go
- How to perform cat & cow pose
Discover Yoga Discover Yourself
Shammi Gupta, founder of Shammi’s Yogalaya holds an MA in Yoga Shastra, is a certified Yogic Therapist and Naturopath, has completed an Advanced Yoga Course and holds a Diploma in Yoga Education from Mumbai University. She is a certified trainer from American College of Sports Medicine and holds an MBA in HR & MBA in Finance from The University of Akron, Ohio, USA. She conducts Health Awareness Workshops for Corporate, Yogasana Workshops for Athletes and Yoga Therapy Workshops on different medical issues for patients. Among the celebrities Shammi trains are eminent personalities from the film and television industry and corporate world.