This is not an assumption but confirmation based on numbers of students I have worked with in the capacity of a Yoga Therapist, some of being really complicated one.
Even though we have various categories of back pain, the source of all of these can be traced back, primarily, to just a few specific areas. These areas work as a store house for stiffness or weakness. We, of course, need to have the right diagnosis from doctor as the first step, assess the surrounding for its strength & weaknesses and go ahead with rehabilitation.
Irrespective of whichever of these pains you suffer from, the combination of these three practices, illustrated below, is capable of eliminating your back pain by working on deep strengthening of those specific areas consisting of Hamstrings stretch, Gluteal opening & firing, IT band stretch, Calf Release, Quadratus Lumborum lengthening etc.
- Yoga belt (use normal trouser belt or dupatta or Stoll in case you do not have a yoga belt)
How to go about it?
- Try and get into the posture as shown
- Start by holding the posture gently for 20 seconds
- Try and work on the form first
- Once you are able to get hold of the right postural form, increase the timing to 30 seconds
- In 2-3 week’s time, you should be able to reach 40 -60 seconds
- Gradually work on staying in the posture for 2 minutes
- Initial few weeks alone will start showing amazing results
- In a span of a month or two, you will off your back pain and all set to a normal living
- 15 minutes in the morning & 15 minutes in the evening
Invest time in watching the video to get your form right for the optimal results.
Supta Padangusthasana – 1
Supta Padangusthasana – 2
Supta Padangusthasana III
Discover Yoga Discover Yourself
Shammi Gupta, founder of Shammi’s Yogalaya holds an MA in Yoga Shastra, is a certified Yogic Therapist and Naturopath, has completed an Advanced Yoga Course and holds a Diploma in Yoga Education from Mumbai University. She is a certified trainer from American College of Sports Medicine and holds an MBA in HR & MBA in Finance from The University of Akron, Ohio, USA. She conducts Health Awareness Workshops for Corporate, Yogasana Workshops for Athletes and Yoga Therapy Workshops on different medical issues for patients. Among the celebrities Shammi trains are eminent personalities from the film and television industry and corporate world.