This is the posture the lion assumes just before attacking its prey so get into that attitude.
Step 1: Sit in a comfortable position, place your palms firmly on the knees; Pressing your palms on the knees, lean forward slightly; hold this position and inhale;
Step 2: As you exhale, open your mouth wide; stretch your tongue out from its root as if you are trying to touch the chin with the tongue.
Step 3: Also, while exhaling, stretch your fingers wide apart with your palms firmly pressed against the knees.
Step 4: Bring your gaze in-between your eyebrows – Sambhavi Mudra (eye brow center gazing) – and keep your gaze fixed until you are holding the posture.
Step 5:The stretching out of the tongue can be accompanied with a roaring sound. Hold this for 20-30 seconds while breathing normally and then release.
Step 6: You can breathe from the mouth as well as nostrils.
Jivha Mudra and Simha Mudra are to be performed alternatively at least in three sets. Practice upto 3 minutes in a day. These can be performed anywhere anytime on an empty stomach. The above practices, when done regularly, in combination, bring multiple benefits.
- Improves the health of Thyroid : Simha Mudra practice works on stimulating your thyroid and parathyroid gland and is one of the most recommended practice for thyroid.
- Recommended for singers: It works directly on your vocal cord and is practiced regularly by singers for improving their voice quality.
- Practice for Sleep Apnea and Snoring: The stretching of the tongue strengthens the throat region and makes upward flow of breath flow flawlessly hence people suffering from snoring as well as sleep apnea see noticeable benefit with regular practice of this practice.
- Facial Beauty: Simhasana or Simha Mudra practice beautifies woman features. It increases blood flow on the facial area thereby rejuvenating the facial cells and making it glow without even going to a beauty parlour. It also helps define ‘Cheek Bone’ to its fullest.
- Be careful not to bend the neck while leaning forward; the whole upper body is bending forward as one unit
- Do not bend forward if suffering from any kind of backache